Outsourcing bookkeeping and accounting is the norm for present day business owners. It is convenient, fewer chances of mistakes and time saving; but for all its benefits, how safe is it to give online bookkeeping services access to all your financial records? With rampant data theft and scams, who can you trust and is anything ever safe?
We understand your fears and worries; unfortunately, aside from handling your accounts and books yourself, there is no way you can ever completely be at peace. That is why online bookkeeping services have stringent security measures in place to ensure that your data never falls into the right hands. Here are some tips on how you can ensure that you choose the right accounting or bookkeeping firm.
- Do Your Research– Never rely on what the firm or representatives of the firm tell you. Always thoroughly research the firm, their background, dig up reviews, talk to people who have worked with them before and take an informed decision. Take as long as you need; this decision is not to be taken lightly.
- Prepare a Legal Document or Contract– Make sure that you draw up a legal document or contract before you begin working with the service provider. Get professional legal help if you have to. Address your security requirements and concerns in the document so that both parties are on the same page.
- Encryption Techniques– To ensure your data is kept safe when transmitting over networks, use encryption techniques.
- Extra Security Measures– Insist that your service provider takes extra steps to ensure security like restricted access to data, screening of visitors, limiting personnel access to data transfer points etc.
You can also ask your online bookkeeping services provider, the following questions to make sure you know what you are getting into.
- Physical security measures in place at the place of business
- Details of encryption methods used on the site and at portals
- What happens to files when the work is done
- Network security
- Company policies on data breach or data theft
Data security issues are here to stay; as long as every industry is computer and internet dependent, there will be those who try to gain unlawful access. So be wise and choose your service providers carefully.