Most business owners and entrepreneurs are sleep deprived. It is not that they have anything against sleep; it’s just that they can think of at least ten other more productive things (like how to calculate payroll taxes) to do in the same time. While you may be able to get things done by staying up for 2-3 hours after bed time, here is what those few hours can do to your health.
- Increase Blood Pressure– Less than 6 hours of sleep per night has been linked to increased blood pressure and other heart conditions.
- Increase Inflammation– Insufficient sleep has been shown to increase inflammation in the body, thereby leading to conditions like heart problems, hypertension, diabetes, asthma, depression etc.
- Impair Cognitive Abilities– Regular sleep deprivation can adversely affect your attention span, decision making skills, memory etc.
- Increase Stress Hormones– Sleep regulates stress hormones thereby keeping your nervous system healthy. Understandably, inadequate sleep leads to increased irritability, stress, anger, depression and mental fatigue.
- Increases Mortality Risk– Recent studies indicate that mortality risk increases if you sleep less than 5 hours a night.
- Weight Gain– During sleep, the body produces hormones that regulate appetite, metabolism and energy. Reduced sleep upsets the balance and often leads to weight gain.
If you feel you are not getting adequate sleep, it may be time to make some lifestyle changes. Here are some things you can do.
- Try to get 7-8 hours of good sleep every night.
- Go to bed at the same time.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol before going to bed.
- Make sure your bedroom is a quiet, dark and cool space.
- Avoid TV and electronic gadgets at least an hour before bed.
- Do something relaxing like reading a book or listening to music before sleeping.
Sleep is important for the well being of your body. Without sleep, you will soon find that you are not able to focus on work. Are the few hours of extra work to figure out how to calculate payroll taxes worth the long term effects?